Monday, July 21, 2008

Metropolitan Art Museum - Caldecott Workshop

I know these are small images but here are pics from Bemelman's Bar in NYC!






Today I attended a workshop at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The workshop was about the Caldecott Award winning books. For those who don't know, the Caldecott Medal is awarded each year for illustrations in children's literature. The Museum has works by 6 of the medal winners so we got to see some of their drawings and learn about types of print used in books. We also got to look at all 60 Caldecott winning books and pick our favorite to present to the group. I picked "The Hello and Goodbye Window" which won in 2006. The colors were so bright and happy and the story was great and I thought of a lot of ways to use the book with my students. We developed lessons and art ideas to use for some of the books also. Afterwards we went to the famous Carlysle Hotel to look at the murals on the wall at Bemelmans Bar. Ludwig Bemelman was the creator of the famous Madeline children's book series. He actually lived in the hotel for a time and painted the walls in the bar.


Note - The Caldecott winner for this year is The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick and contains pages of amazing pencil drawings. I highly reccomend it just for the artwork!









No comments: