Youtube clip of someone who taped the fireworks from their roof.
Fourth of July in NYC wasn't quite what I thought it would be. I saw more excitement in the streets the weekend I arrived here when everyone was celebrating Puerto Rican Pride Day. I celebrated 4th of July by stimulating the economy and making several purchases on Canal Street/Chinatown. I browsed through store after store of vendors selling knock off designer handbags and I found one for my sister and one for myself. I almost got caught in the middle of a raid. The vendors who sell the illegal bags out of suitcases along the street and in the back of some of the stores, very suddenly and quickly packed up shop upon the appearance of a police car. They seem to have a system down so they don't get caught. I also found a really pretty skirt and a beautiful black top. My hunt to replace the cute black shoes I bought in Chinatown last year was unsuccessful. I came home and took a power nap and then went with my roommate Carlynne to a bbq at someone else's apartment. There were probably about 30 people there from the lds singles group there. I felt a bit awkaward since I don't attend singles activities at church too often but I met some very nice people. It started to rain some but we headed out to Brooklyn where we waited among the large crowds of people to watch the fireworks on the east river. The fireworks were beautiful and lasted almost 30 minutes - one of the best displays I have seen! I was wet and tired at the end of it all but I think it was worth it. Getting back home from Brooklyn was craziness - it took way too long because of all the crowds of people and subway traffic. So in the end I would like to say God Bless America for being the greatest country on earth and God bless China too for making cheap knock off handbags that look great and that I can afford and also for making fantastic fireworks! If we could only get China to improve it's human rights policies and government, we would have another reason to celebrate.
No comments:
Post a Comment