Monday, June 9, 2008

The first few days

Hi Everyone! I arrived in NYC in good order and so far things have gone quite well. I am living around the corner from Central Park North just south of Harlem. My two roommates are extremely nice and I am so grateful for all the help they have afforded me so far. The apartment is decent although I miss my bed terribly. On Sunday I went to church up the street in the Harlem First Ward. Everyone was so nice and there are several members of the church in the same apartment building I am living in so it is nice to have good neighbors who can help me out! Sunday afternoon I met with some people that I had met earlier at church for a picnic in Central Park but a half hour into it a big rainstorm came our way and we got dumped on. I had my flip flops on and tried to run back to my apartment but running in flip flops in the rain is not easily done so I became quite drenched as a result. Today was my first day as an intern and it went very well. My supervisors, Dottie and Barbara, are fantastic and I am going to learn a great deal from both of them. Today I attended an Aria Workshop which was a lot of fun. There were two ladies who work with Elementary teachers and students in using children's literature as a vehicle for song writing. I learned a lot and was very impressed with what they did. We used the story, Where The Wild Things Are to develop characters, storylines, and eventually a song. I would explain the details but it would sound silly - definitely one of those things that you would have to be there for in order to understand the humor behind it. I was taken to the backstage of the opera house to get my "official id card" and I was so excited to be there in the hallways and near the dressing rooms where so many great performers have been. Later this week I will get an official tour and I am really looking forward to that. I am sorry I don't have much more to share at this point. It is very hot here and I could do without the intense heat but all is well and as the week progresses, so will my news. Tomorrow night I will be attending a show at Carnegie Hall and I have plans for the weekend as well! I will keep you better informed as the week goes on and I will also post pictures too.

No comments: