Monday, March 21, 2011

DIRT MARKET




Last week I went to the "Dirt Market" with my friend Sherri.  It is a super huge outdoor market where people sell all sorts of things - Mao collectibles, antiques, fake antiques, furniture, jewelry, etc...  This place is really big and I went on a random weekday so it wasn't nearly as crowded as it usually is apparently.  Sherri said there are many more vendors on the weekends that bring all sorts of items from Mongolia and Tibet as well.  I ended up buying a book that is probably about 40 - 50 years old. It is a replica of a scroll that depicts the story of a city in China and I forgot the name so I will have to blog about specifics later.  I liked the way the book looked and several vendors had the book so I am curious as to why there are so many of them around.  I really liked looking at the different calligraphy scrolls and hangings.  There was a man painting traditional scenes on large pieces of paper and I'd like to go back and get one of those later to keep at home.  One item I found to be extremely cool and beautiful were the used calligraphy brushes.  The handles are made out of all sorts of materials - wood, porcelin,colored stones, etc...  I'd like to find some really beautiful ones for a collection.  The other thing I really, really love are the shadow puppets.  They are so beautiful and intricately made.  Most are made from leather and very pretty colored paints. I am hoping to make it back to the market on a Saturday to see more vendors. 


1 comment:

Scotty said...

I'm really jealous. We have a bedroom with an Asian theme. You'll have to take us there when we come out. Scott