Friday, December 10, 2010

Well I have officially been in Beijing for 24 hours and it has been a bit of a whirlwind.  I hardly slept on the flight which actually worked a bit to my advantage.  I was met at the airport by a Disney rep and we went straight to the hotel.  There was another guy who had come in just before me on an earlier flight who is also going to be working as a new trainer so it has been nice to have someone else around to help with figuring things out.  
I was pretty tired when I got to the hotel but I walked around outside a bit and got a chocolate lava cake at this nice restaurant across the street to celebrate my arrival.  I took a benadryl and went to bed.  A few hours later I woke up at 1am Beijing time but tried to force myself to stay in bed and sleep.  About an hour later, I heard a noise at my door and sat up to look and some guy had come into my room - it totally freaked me out.  He shut the door and left but I went to the front desk to see what was going on.  Turns out a room needed more towels and he went to the wrong one to deliver them.  Well since I was up I took advantage of the moment and sent out a few emails.  I eventually went back to bed and slept some more but woke up well before my morning wake up call. 
I spent my first day with a Disney rep who took me and the other new trainer to take care of some things - medical check up (which I ended up not doing because my paperwork was so complete), foreign corruption training, bought a phone, opened a bank account, and filled out papers for Disney.  I was able to meet a few of my co-workers and they seem like amazing people and I've heard great things about the center I have been assigned to work at also.  I am going to be at the Solana Center which is in NE Beijing and that was the area I was hoping to be in so that is exciting.  
I haven't had a chance to try any local cuisine yet.  I spent most of the day walking through the business/financial district.  Beijing is a HUGE city but doesn't feel nearly as overwhelming as NYC does.  The buildings here aren't as tall or close together and there is a much more open feel about it which I like.  So far I feel really comfortable here.  The people have been very nice, the subway is super organized and clean, and I've been able to figure some things out fairly well already.  My one complaint is the air - sooooo smoggy here and smoking is allowed everywhere so the scent of cigarette smoke lingers around in just about every place possible.  
I have the weekend off but I'm not sure what I will do yet.  I need to pick a few items at the store and maybe I'll check out a park or something.  I'm in no rush to see all the sights since I have plenty of time to do all that.  I will be going to a church Christmas party so I'm looking forward to that and to meeting some other expats and hopefully, making friends too!!

2 comments:

Linnea said...

OK--I would probably lose it if on my first night in a new country some man walked into my room in the middle of the night! It sounds like you're going to have an amazing experience!!

Mary said...

I can't believe some man walked into your room. I understand the mixup but that is crazy. I am glad you got there safely and it sounds like all is going to be ok. Keep all of us posted as often as you can. You are going to have such an exciting time!!!