Thursday, December 30, 2010

Chinese Names

The Chinese have their normal Chinese names and then some elect to pick an English name for themselves as well.  Most of the children that come to Disney English use their English name when they come.  Sometimes the parents pick the names for their child and sometimes they let the child pick. Sometimes the English name is a literal translation of their Chinese name. Most children that come have normal names like David, Matthew, Yvonne, Melilnda, etc... Then there are the kids that have "Disney English" names.  For example, I have a little boy that goes by Simba and another that goes by McQueen (Lightening McQueen from the movie Cars).  There was a little girl that came the other day for a demonstration class and her English name was "Big Tarzan".  I wish I was kidding but I'm not.  The parents said that was the name she wanted.  She had come to a demonstration class before and apparently at that one she had a different English name so I'm not sure why she changed it but seriously, can't the parents just pick a normal name?  I have some students that are named after animals like "Panda" and I have a couple of girls named after foods like "Cherry" and "Grape".  I asked "Cherry" to pick a Chinese name for me and she told me my name should be "pingwu" which is "Apple".  So apparently she thinks I should share the name with Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's daughter.  Well, I am thinking that I will figure out a different Chinese name for myself and I'm open to suggestions.  

1 comment:

The Gongora Family said...

Just found your blog Hillary and I love it. Thanks for the great insight on Chinese life. I am amazed with your strength to be able to travel so far from home. Keep the posts coming and Happy New Year to you!

Sarah Gongora