Monday, May 2, 2011

BYU CHAMBER ORCHESTRA CONCERT

The Brigham Young University Chamber Orchestra is here in China on a tour. They performed in Beijing today along with the Peking Universtiy Chamber Orchestra. It was a wonderful program and I enjoyed it very much. They played Berenstein's "On The Town" and it totally put me in the mood to watch the movie.  I will have to make dvd store run next week and see if I can find it.  The second piece was a famous Chinese Violin Concerto called "Butterfly Lover's Violin Concerto".  When I heard it, I realized I actually was familiar with the melody already.  The music is also performed as a folk song and is sung and shown on cctv all the time.  It is beautiful song and I actually think I would like to learn to sing it.  The music is based on a famous Chinese fairytale (I will share the story in another post).  The concert concluded with Dvorak's New World Symphony.  The performance was excellent.  I have attached a link to the Butterfly Lover's Violin Concerto.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Egmjy8BbME&feature=related

No comments: