Thursday, April 21, 2011

CHINESE SOAP OPERAS

So I've been reading in the news about how networks are cancelling American soap operas. I've never really been into soaps with the exception of a short period in college which have no explanation for except that it probably had to do with my roommates.  Here in China, television is regulated by the government.  You can get cable service to allow for some additional channels but I just have regular Chinese TV.  When I lived in Honduras, people were completey engrossed in their Spanish soap operas.  Here in China, I haven't noticed that they are as big of a deal even though there are hundreds of them on tv every day.  So after being here for several months I have determined there are 3 types of  Chinese soap operas.  
1.  The "Ancient Fantastical Poorly Filmed With Bad Makeup, Acting, and Special Effects" type of soap opera is the first kind.  These usually involve a setting in ancient China with the characters wearing traditional costumes.  The stories usually center around Chinese legends and involve characters flying or posessing some type of mystical power.  I've never watched a complete one because they are so ridiculously bad and have only been able to endure a couple of minutes of this type of entertainment.  Here is a clip of an example of what I''m talking about.  It is really long so I don't expect you to watch the whole thing but at least wait until you see the lady breathe fire! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDp6SsmTlcU
2.  The other type of soap is the "Military Cultural Revolution" style soap.  This usually involves a cast of mostly men playing parts of military men or officers and plots are usually centered around the various wars and battles that have involved the Chinese in the last 100 years.  Even though I can't understand what is being said, I believe it is safe to say that the story lines and so forth center around consequences for those that refused to support military and government efforts.  Here is an example. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ44IqdobdY
3.  The "Modern Day Predictable Amateur Dramatics" soap opera is the third kind here.  I would compare it more to Latin American style soaps than I would to American style soaps.  There are so many of them and again, I don't watch them but catch bits and pieces as I go between music channels.  They usually involve love triangles and social class of course is always an issue - the poor girl in love with the rich man from Shanghai or wherever and blah, blah, blah.  There are a lot more elderly people and characters in soaps here too which is obviously reflective of the culture.  Enjoy this final clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6izvhAZCp7U

2 comments:

Christina MC said...

I was looking forward to a lady breathing fire, but I didn't last that long.

ptr said...

Interesting. I did hear it said once that a good way to learn a new language is to watch their television or movies. Hmm...haha! ptr