Wednesday, February 11, 2015

TAIKO DRUMMING

Today we had a traditional Japanese Taiko drum group come to my school to perform. Back in December I saw the students from the other school campus perform Taiko drums and it was so fun. The group that came today consisted of 5 people and they have traveled the world performing for people.  They had a very cute little show for our students and used many instruments to tell stories and make sounds.  It was LOUD but so super awesome. I seriously am thinking I need to take a drum class to learn how to play these things. 
 
Below are some pics. I did take some videos but still have not figured out how to transfer them to my computer. The files are too big to email and then add. I did find a youtube video from CBS about some history of Taiko. It is really interesting and I think you will like it. 




Pre-show set up


 
Let's get this show started!


 
This was a cute little segment about a horse and the kids loved it. They even got a parent involved to play along which was super fun to watch.

 
More drums please!

 
Audience participation time!

 
It was very fun and impressive how they were able to drum so fast and so well together.






 
I got to pound on the drum for a few seconds (clip is on my fb page) and it was fun. I think it would be fun to take a class and learn how to play Taiko. I will keep my eyes and ears open for an opportunity to do so.

No comments: