Sunday, February 8, 2015

Nokogiriyama - Largest Stone Buddah in Japan

So a couple of weeks ago I finally got around to joining  a few meetups here in Tokyo. I found one called Tokyo Day/Weekend Trips which is organized by a small company that specializes in local day trips in and around the city.  I went on my first trip Saturday with my co-worker Wendy. This trip was super cool.
 
I met the others in the group which consisted of some pretty nice and interesting people. Seriously I could not have been happier to FINALLY be out and about getting to know others in this city and to be able to see more of Japan.  We met at 8am and took an hour train ride past Chiba to the outskirts of Tokyo Bay. From there we had to take a 10 minute bus ride to a ferry and then the 35 minute ferry ride across the bay to Nokogiriyama Peninsula.  There is no other way to get to this place. After arriving we walked a bit to get to a tram which we then took to the top of the hill. There were awesome views from the top. After lunch we hiked around the top to go see the largest stone Buddah in Japan and some other pretty cool things. Hope you enjoy the pictures! 


This ain't no Staten Island Ferry people.


 
 
 
 
Local fish and treat market in Nokogiriyama.
 
 
 


 
 A couple of old Shrines that I saw on the walk
 

 

 
Made it to the Tram. I think we used about every mode of transportation on this outing except for a bike and a plane.

 
 
Some views from the top




 

 
We walked through these walls...
 
 
...and saw this amazing Buddah!

 
 
Some views from the higher level
 


 
1,500 little Buddahs scattered throughout the park



 
 


 
Found the giant Buddah! The pics don't really give you an idea of how big it really is. If you look down in the far left corner you can see a tiny person there and that helps put it in perspective.







 
I know it looks like I am photo bombing this guy but he actually photo bombed me. Walked right in front all of a sudden when I was trying to jump in front of the Buddah. Thanks Buddy.
 
 
 


This is a smaller little statue surrounded by little dolls with red string. You can buy a doll and then you write your name on the back and you throw it on the pile with the rest of them while making a wish. I bought a doll to add to the pile and an extra for a souvenir.
 



 
Here is the group I went with.  I met some really nice people. I am sure I will see some again. This was a great day out.

 

 

1 comment:

Glenderful@gmail.com said...

Great pix! Meetup is a great platform for meeting others. It's not super active in Beijing but I've joined a few events and always meet some interesting people!