Monday, October 10, 2011

THE MIRACLE OF THE KEYS


Last month after work I went to dinner with my friend Ryan.  When I got home I looked into my purse to get out my small zipper pouch with my gate card to get into my complex and it was missing. In this pouch I had my condo card, my apartment key, my water card, my electric card, and my bus card.  I looked and looked all through my purse and could not find it. I was surprised how calm I was even though I had lost these items.  Somehow I knew it would all be okay.  I tried to call my realtor and couldn't get a hold of him. I couldn't call my landlord because he didn't speak English. I tried calling a few others that spoke Chinese to see if someone could help but I couldn't reach anyone.  As I was sitting on the ground still looking in my purse for the ump-teenth time hoping to find my small zipper pouch, a Chinese woman approached me with a western looking man.  They were married and lived in my complex. She spoke fluent English and Chinese and she and her husband were able to help me.  They were so nice.  I was eventually able to reach someone to help me get a hold of my realtor and this couple helped me locate a locksmith and even loaned me the money to get in my apartment. They translated for me, helped me with the police and locksmith and stayed with me for two hours until after midnight until I was back home and everything was okay. They loaned me money to pay the locksmith too because it was too late for me to go to an atm.  The next day I was able to resolve most of the issues and get my cards replaced as well as my lock.  There were many other small things that happened during this experience that made a world of difference.  All of these small little miracles added up to one big miracle and something that could have been a horrible and stressful experience turned out to be so positive and was a blessing in a strange sort of way.  I was grateful for the kindness of strangers and was reminded that I need to be kinder to those I don't know.  I was grateful for the calm and peaceful feeling I had - I knew God was watching over me and this situation.  I was also reminded of the importance of being prepared. I had other things with me that I needed and that helped things to get resolved very quickly.  I refer to this experience now as "The Miracle of the Keys" because for me, that's exactly what it was.  

No comments: