Monday, October 10, 2011

CALLIGRAPHY CLASS

Last month a calligraphy instructor came to my Chinese class to give us all some basic instruction. It was a really fun class and I wasn't that great at the calligraphy but I enjoyed learning more about it and how write.  The teacher was really nice and actually an opera fan and singer too! He sang a song for us and taught us all the different strokes used in Chinese calligraphy. He went through some of the history as well which was interesting too.  The first Chinese calligraphy was actually a form where the writing actually looked like the word.  For example, the symbol for fish looked more like a fish then than what it looks like today.  It was neat to see how the calligraphy had evolved over time.  Part of me is especially fond of the calligraphy style that is a bit more ancient and sloppy looking.  It just looks more artistic and expressive so I think that is why I enjoy it more. I got to practice making strokes and writing a couple of symbols. The instructor said that my strokes were weak and delicate and I shouldn't be afriad to "give strength."  Ha ha!
 

No comments: