Thursday, August 4, 2011

MEDITATION CLASS

I worry a lot. I over analyze and have a tendency to always be concerned about what is to come and what is next rather than worry about things in the past.  One of the things I've been interested in learning more about even before I came to China, is meditation.  I really think it is something I could benefit from because I believe it would help me to channel my worry and anxiety differently and help me to remain more calm about things.  So today I went to a Zen Buddihst meditation class at a Chinese cultural center in my neighborhood.  I really had no idea of what to expect but I ended up really enjoying the experience. There were two other ladies there with me and I think it was there first time there as well. The Zen Master was extremely kind and soft spoken.  We did some warm up movements with our arms and bodies that were very fluid and relaxing.  Then we sat on our mats but sitting with my legs crossed is not very comfortable me because I have zero flexibility.  As we sat we continued to do some hand motions about every 5 minutes or so and the rest of the time we sat with eyes closed listening to the Zen Master guide us through the mediation.  A lot of his instruction was about being aware of your body and the space around you.  It was extremely silent which means that it was easy for me to think and worry a lot during the session and that was what I was trying to avoid.  I think I just need more practice.  At the end of sitting, we walked very, very slowly around the room three times stopping when the master hit two wooden sticks to take account of the space and feeling around us.  At the end we finished with sitting again and doing a few more hand and body movements and then he gave a prayer at the End asking for all living beings to have peace.  Afterwards he explained Zen and Buddihst philosophies regarding suffering and overcoming suffering. One of the things I liked was that he explained to live life as moments and to not use the excuse that things happen "naturally" because that means people are usually trying to get out of being responsible for what happens in their lives. He talked about how people can have control over their emotions once they are able to recognize them more and where they come from. He talked about the mind being a storm and through Zen and meditation you can learn to control and conquer the storm. This has to do with Buddihst beliefs that we all endure suffering but that the suffering can be conquered.  I definitely agreed that my mind feels like a storm at times. I always seem to have so much going through it.   I am not a Buddihst but I do find connections in most other religions that align with my Christian beliefs which I love.  At several points during the meditation I found myself just saying my own prayers to God and trying to feel his peace. I don't know when I'll make it to the class again. I do think it would be helpful if I kept going.

No comments: