This past weekend I went to my first Shrine Sale. These happen all over Tokyo at many of the larger Shinto Shrines. It is pretty much a large Antique Yard sale market type of thing. It was good to go and get a feel for what is available and what to look for. You are expected to bargain with the vendors and lucky me they have dealt with enough English speakers over the years to communicate with me just fine. The Shrine was quite beautiful. Hope you enjoy the pics below.
The colors of the leaves are very bright and pretty. Unfortunately my camera is kind of crappy so I don't think you can tell very well in these pictures.
There were some very pretty flowers at the sale. The Japanese LOVE flowers.
These are being propped up by paper plates so that they will bloom upward.
There were a lot of interesting items at the sale. Pottery (old and new), old coins, old records, old photo albums, fabrics for kimonos, statues, vases, tons of jewelry, etc...
These are Kokeshi dolls. They are extremely popular in Japan and people collect them. You can find them just about everywhere. They come in all sizes and sometimes in different shapes. They usually have different designs painted on the front with red paint. I learned to check the bottom for an artists signature to make sure it is an authentically made one instead of a reproduction factory kind. I bought several that I liked so I could start my own collection. I wish I had purchased some more of the tiny ones to use as Christmas tree ornaments. Some of the small ones have bobble heads which is kind of cute.
This is some kind of strange carriage bike something or other with a giant pig head on the front.
Anyone want an old grenade?
Throughout the year they have celebrations for children when they turn 3, 5, and 7. It is known as The Schichi Go San Matsuri. The parents will dress their child up in traditional Japanese Kimono and take them to a shrine to pray and wish for their good health and prosperity. There were several small children there with their parents and grandparent for the event. They were so adorable in their traditional outfits.
1 comment:
You need to get a camera. These pictures are great, but .... What an experience you are having! Awesome.
Post a Comment