Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Beginning of a New Adventure

Hello my dear friends! It has been a LONG time since I have written on my blog but I am reviving it so I can document my life and adventures in Japan. For those who do not know, I have accepted a job teaching at an American school in Tokyo and I am very excited about what the next three years (or maybe more) may hold for me.
     When I returned from Beijing 2 1/2 years ago, I knew I wanted to find another overseas teaching opportunity. It took awhile for the right thing to come my way but it did and I am really looking forward to learning and growing as a teacher but more importantly as a human.
     I flew to Boston in February to attend a recruiting fair with International School Services. I stayed at a hostel instead of the Westin where the event was held. I later learned that it would have worked more to my advantage to stay at the venue. But no matter because the right job came my way despite my sleeping at an alternative and less expensive location. That first morning began with me standing at a table in the lobby looking over the schedule. A nice woman who was a director of an elementary school in southern China, joined me at the table to do whatever it was she needed to take care of. A few minutes later she was joined by an older gentleman who I immediately recognized as someone I knew but couldn't exactly place. I read the name on his tag, "Dale Cox" and at that moment realized it was the church Bishop from one of the congregations I attended while in Beijing. I was quite relieved to see a familiar face.  Day 1 was filled with presentations from various schools many of which I was extremely impressed with. About 300+ teachers were in attendance and we were all vying for competitive positions throughout the world. Everyone wanted a job, there was a lot of anxiety and a competitive atmosphere that was quite prominent throughout the event. By the end of day one, some schools had already filled positions and I revised my list of possibilities that evening. I was stressed and hungry - I had only eaten an apple that afternoon.
     The next morning, Day 2,  almost all of the positions I was interested in had been filled since directors had interviewed in the evening and during the night. I was unable to sign up for most all the interviews I had planned but I tried to be open minded and I started to look around at other schools and possibilities that could be right. I finally made my way to the table for the American School in Japan. I introduced myself to Mr. Ladd, the director, who recalled my resume after I told him who I was but he then indicated he didn't have any interest in me and that I wasn't what he was looking for to fill their one and only available spot which was a pre-k opening at their Early Learning Center. He did agree to meet with me anyway since he had hardly anyone signed up for an interview that afternoon. I met with him and at the conclusion of our meeting he asked if I could Skype in two hours with the director of the early learning center in Tokyo. I went back to the hostel where I was staying and had interview number two with the ELC director, Ms. Jean Caskey. I was soooo nervous about this interview. I am positive I did a lot of unnecessary babbling. That evening there was a social event for recruiters and teachers which I attended despite being beyond exhausted. I was so stressed I hadn't slept for 2 nights.  I ran into my former Bishop again who asked how things were going. I told him I was in the interview process for the school in Tokyo and his response was that that particular school was extremely respected in the international school community and it be wonderful if I could get hired there because it was such an excellent school. I had no idea of how great a reputation this school had and now was unsure of what chance I had to secure the position despite not having much competition. That night at 10:30 I was asked to come for another interview the following morning.
     Day 3 began with another interview sign up for positions that had not been filled.  There were not many teachers left and there were not many positions. I met with Mr. Ladd again a bit later and he requested references so that was when I tackled my phone and started texting and calling former supervisors and co-workers who could provide me with those references.  A bit later I got a text from Mr. Ladd inviting me for another meeting that afternoon. In the meantime, a snowstorm had hit Boston. The flight I was supposed to be on that afternoon had gotten canceled the night before and I had rescheduled to leave Thursday instead. I had also interviewed for schools in Nigeria, China, Ecuador, and Brazil. An administrator from a school located in the Caribbean saw me stressing in the hall before my Nigeria interview and gave me some reassuring and sound advice. Various other administrators and directors were really great about being positive with teachers and wishing us all luck as we all roamed the halls, sat in wait, and went up and down the elevators.  At one point I was waiting to go up for another interview and I was so tired and stressed, I just stood there and then just set my forehead on the wall and closed my eyes and said "Dear God please let this be over." When I lifted my head, the Catholic priest from the Bangkok school was standing next to me and just smiled and laughed at me a bit.
     So I went to interview #3 with Mr. Ladd and after I walked in the door he said he had spoken to all my references who had great things to say about me and he would love to give me the job. Yes. This came from the man who 48 hours before declared that I was not what he was looking for. At that moment I burst into tears. I started to cry in front of my brand new boss and I absolutely couldn't help it. I had wanted that job SO BAD and the moment he said I had it, all the stress and anxiety left and it was just that flood of emotion.  He asked if I was okay, gave me a Kleenex, we shook hands, and I signed a temporary contract. I was so absolutely happy about this job and off I went to call my mother first and then text the rest of the family and friends.  I tried to contact my cousin Carie who currently lives in Tokyo and whose children attend the school I will be working for. I was really excited to be near family overseas.
     At this point I realized how absolutely hungry I was. I had consumed two Starbucks sandwiches and crappy deli food from the 7-11 across from the hostel for 3 days. Gross. It was snowing a lot outside and I was still tired, cold, and hungry as I walked back to the hostel. I decided to walk around the block across the way to see what was available to eat and there was a fancy Latin fusion restaurant that had just opened for dinner service. I went right in and sat at a fancy table and the low light and classical music was so calming. I treated myself to a huge fancy dinner to celebrate my new job and it was so great to sit and relax and be happy about what had just happened.
     That night I relaxed in the lobby and did some reading. I had met some really nice people who were also staying in the hostel and we had breakfast together each morning and I spent my last evening chatting with a man who had come to find a music job so we chatted about music for a long while.  I slept great that night too.
      The next day it was back to Houston and over the last five months I have been preparing for this move which will be here soon. I am extremely grateful to Mr. Ladd who was unsure but took a chance and ultimately offered me this amazing opportunity. I am also thankful to everyone who pulled through to provide me with a reference and a HUGE Thank you goes to Lakita Combs at my old school. I am thankful for Bishop Cox who was encouraging each day I was there in Boston. I am thankful to family and friends who have been supportive in my journey and endeavors to go overseas. There were many incidents that occurred over the four days I was in Boston that were not just coincidences - running into my former Bishop, having my flight cancelled, having a lack of competition for this position, and getting a job where I have family. In a few weeks my new life will begin and I hope you all will enjoy being a part of it through this blog. Love to you all.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hillary, I am so excited for you and love the story of how you were hired. Best of luck!